Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Our Lent

Since today is Ash Wednesday, I thought I would write and let you all know what we will be doing for Lent. While there are lots and lots of ideas that I would like to incorporate into our Lenten observances, we have to keep it simple this year because of having a small baby.  I just keep all the ideas in a file folder to hopefully include in the years to come.

First, we are going to start back with family prayers. We had been very good at doing prayers together as a family every night, but some how life got in the way and our prayers fell by the wayside. Well, Josette and her post on the family Rosary inspired me and I decided what better time to start then during Lent.  I don't know how exactly our family Rosary will take form. I am hoping that the girls will be involved as much as possible, but it will be a work in progress and we will make adjustments as needed.

Second, at dinner each night we will be reading Lent and Easter Wisdom From St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi.  This is a great book that we have used the past couple of years and each year we are never disappointed.  (Hubby went to The University of Santa Clara and I love learning about this Saint.) I had wanted to find a book for Princess to read on her own this Lent, but I didn't manage to get around to it.  Oh well, good thing Lent happens again next year. I might keep looking so if anyone has any ideas for a book for an advanced 1st grader - let my know.

I asked the girls what they wanted to give up for Lent this year. Cowgirl said she would make up her bed everyday which I had to remind her that she is already supposed to make up her bed every morning :)
Princess then stated that she would give up juice and only drink milk or water. I thought that was a pretty good idea for a six year old. (Not to mention all the money we will save on juice!!) I am going to let them have juice on Sundays so that it won't seem so long of a month, especially since this is the first year they will be giving up something.

I usually make a calendar for the girls for Lent, but again it was a little too much for me this year. Instead I printed them each off their own calendar that they can color and keep track of the days themselves.

Our church has Stations of the cross each Wednesday followed by Soup & Salad. I am hoping to go to as many of these as we can (especially since I don't have to worry about dinner!)

Well, that is about it in a nutshell. I hope that even though our plans are simple God will still bless our efforts as we draw closer to Him. Have a blessed Lent!

1 comment:

Josette said...

great Lenten ideas goals!!