Sunday, March 20, 2011

St. Patty's Day Dinner


This year for St. Patrick’s Day I found a recipe in our local newspaper for Stout-Braised Chicken Thighs. I thought this would be an easy (& cheap) alternative to our traditional Corned Beef Brisket.  Thursday was also our church’s Penance service and as a result we didn’t get home in time to make it for St. Patrick’s Day. Instead, I put it aside for Saturday.  I didn’t know how it would turn out or even how it was going to taste. I, personally, am not a fan of stout. My hubby, however, is. I (and the girls) were pleasantly surprised. It turned out VERY good. I served it with smashed potatoes. I know it is a little late, but I thought I should post this recipe so that others could benefit. It really was quite easy.

Stout-Braised Chicken Thighs

Start to finish: 50 min. (30 min. active)

¼ c. plus 3 Tbl all purpose flour, divided
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 slice bacon, finely chopped
1 small yellow onion, dices
¾ c. baby carrots
4 oz. button mushrooms, halved
¾ c. stout, such as Guinness
¾ c. chicken broth
¾ c. frozen baby peas

In a shallow dish, combine ¼ c. flour with ½ tsp each of salt and pepper. Dredge chicken thighs in flour mixture to coat completely, set aside on a plate.

In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over med-high, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken thighs and cook until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes a side. Transfer to clean plate and set aside.

Add the bacon to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the onion, carrots and mushrooms and sauté until the veggies begin to brown, about 4 min. Sprinkle the remaining 3 Tbl of four over the veggies and cook, stirring constantly, for another 2 minutes.

Add the stout and broth to the pan and bring to a boil using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the thighs to the pan, nestling them among the veggies. Reduce heat, cover, gently simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the pas and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer for 5 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

No comments: