Friday, April 15, 2011

Book Review - The Backyard Homestead

I want to tell y'all about a book that Hubby and I got about a year ago. It is called The Backyard Homestead. 

Let me tell you, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. This book tells you everything you need to know about producing food in your "backyard." It states that you can "produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!" WOW! Imagine that only 1/4 acre. That is not a lot of space. However, it is amazing to see that you CAN indeed do just that. It shows how you can lay out your homestead to include fruits, veggies, chickens, and even livestock for milk and food. But the book does not end there. It tells you how to plant and sow the fruits and veggies, how to choose chickens and build a coop, and even how to milk goats and cows. The book then continues on and explains how to make jams and jellies, cheese, beer, and even maple syrup (if you live in the right area)! This book is a must have for those who want to become self-sufficient. Growing up in modern times many of us never learned how to do any of the things in the book. I grew up on a farm until I was 7 and was never taught how to can vegetables or make jam. I believe that in the coming years, if the economy doesn't get any better, this book will be a life saver for me and my family. I couldn't recommend this book enough! It has replaced many books on my bookshelf and has become my one "go to" book.

3 comments:

Josette said...

definetly on my amazon wish list!! I agree with you. I watch the economy and see what kinda of junk they put in our food and the gmo food and it frightens me! Right now I am looking into natural makeup. (after reading a post on Keeper of the home)

Roxaline said...

It really is an amazing, easy to read book. I was surprised at how simple sustainable living can be. My husband is in the finance field of work and he says it is only going to get worse. I am very jealous of your chickens!

Debi said...

This looks very interesting! Once we fill in our pool, I want to be more self sustaining. Thanks for sharing!!