Thursday, April 7, 2011

How to Calm a Fussy Baby

As some of you may know, Sweet Pea is NOT my easiest baby! That award definitely goes to Cowgirl. She was VERY laid back and calm (very much like she is today). She would sleep for 3 - 4 hours at a time and would be ready for bed by 7 pm at the latest. Yes she gets the award for "Easiest Baby." Now, for the past 6 1/2 years I thought Princess was my difficult baby. She wouldn't sleep unless she was in the bed next to me and even then it was only for 2 hours at a time. Then she wouldn't nap during the day for longer then 30 minutes. She HATED being in her car seat and fussed whenever she was not being held. I joke that she came out screaming and has been dramatic ever since. I thought that since I was able to take care of Princess as a baby I could handle anything life could throw at me. How wrong I was! Sweet Pea has taken the crown for my Fussiest Baby! She has out screamed, fussed, cried, whined, etc, etc Princess to the tenth degree! I should have known that it was going to be this way since this pregnancy was so UNLIKE my other two. I was exhausted before I even thought I was pregnant. The day after I found out, I started getting sick. My sickness was way worse with Sweet Pea and I started spotting/having contractions at 24 weeks! I was certain I was having a boy. Even after the ultrasound that determined she was in fact a girl, I still worried that it was wrong. I went back a number of times and looked at the pictures to reassure myself.

Sweet Pea has ALWAYS been a fussy baby. She would have bouts of crying from 7 - 9 pm every night.   Now I don't mean the type of crying/fussing that is easily cured by rocking or walking. NO, this was all out - wake the neighbors- screaming. Nothing worked! She didn't want to nurse. She wouldn't take a pacifier. She HATED walking, bouncing, rocking, swaying, & dancing. I tried white noise, pink noise, brown noise, & music. Nothing worked! Until.........

Finally, while getting ready for Mass, when she was about 4 weeks old I found something that worked!


Yes, a hair dryer! She fell asleep in her bouncy chair to the sound of my hair dryer. THANK YOU JESUS!

Not so fast! Now I got to spend every night for the next 2 months in the bathroom for 2+ hours. Why not bring the hair dryer out of the bathroom you ask? We did. It didn't work. I don't know how or why but Sweet Pea only likes the hair dryer IN the bathroom. ( I think I need to change her nickname to Princess and the Pea :) ).

You will be happy to know that now at 3 months old she is a much happier baby. Fussy still - Yes! Demanding still - Yes! Temperamental still - Yes! But Happier. She will "talk" and coo and even laugh at times. She has even taken to a pacifier. However, she is still and (I am afraid to say) will always be my fussy baby. Good thing she is so cute!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Whatever works!!! Maybe it's the sound of the hair dryer reverberating on the bathroom tile?? So glad she's less fussy - I totally feel your pain on the whole fussy baby thing. Ali was definitely mine!