Monday, June 27, 2011

Quick Question

I only have a few moments (all the girls are in the bath and I am hoping that there are no tears, fights, or near drownings) to write this post. I have a quick question? Who handles the finances in your household? I have read many different opinions answers to this question. Some say that the husband should handle all finances since he is the "head" of the household and more then likely is the main breadwinner. Others say that because the women is the one who is shopping and taking care of the house that she should handle finances. And then there is the "whoever is more inclined" to this type of work. What do you say? How do you handle finances in your house? Do you fall into one of the categories above or do you have a different way that works for you? I am eagerly waiting your comments!

6 comments:

Debi said...

It works best if the answer is both. One writes up a budget, the other approves it. You do this each pay period. It's worked wonders on our marriage. Have you heard of Dave Ramsey? His book, Total Money Makeover is wonderful and a great place to start.

Gardenia said...

I think whoever is more inclined can do the books provided he/she knows how to do it. some don't have a knack for it. for some, financial things come very easily. I balanced my check book to the penny when I was single, and am happy y husband handles the bill paying and making up the budget now. but we didn't really consider traditional male female roles when we made the decision. I think to each his/her own. :)

Josette said...

We both do the finances. We always consult each other before we spend over a hundred.

He does most of the food shopping so he takes care and handles that.

I handle the medical expenses (doctor visits/dentist), clothing, gift giving and Christmas.

Roxaline said...

@ Debi I have heard of Dave Ramsey. We are trying to incorporate some of his ideas. Fortunately, we don't have too much debt, so we are looking at paying off car notes!

I was just wondering since I have taken over finances to ease up my husband since he is on the road quite a bit. However, I know some in the Christian (maybe even Catholic) community who would say that is a big NO NO! You don't want to take over one of his jobs and make him feel less of a man.

Debi said...

Roxaline, I have read columns and books from Catholic perspectives regarding personal finance, and everything pretty much says the same thing, that it doesn't matter who does the finances...usually whoever feels the most inclined to do it...there is no "man" or "woman" tasks as long as it works for the couple. My husband does the laundry...in fact he kind of has an obsession with it and I do the finances, but have him approve the budget for each pay period. I think you are definitely doing what works best for your family and you will be blessed for it!!

Rachel said...

I handle them because I'm an accountant, I'm quick, and I have more time than my hubby! :)