Friday, August 5, 2011

North & South



The past couple of days have been horrible! It has been the Civil War at our house. Emma vs. Brianna! North vs. South! Sister against sister! Blame it on the heat, lack of structure, geographical birthplace (Emma was born in Michigan and Brianna in Mississippi), or simply not being able to go outside since we are currently without a backyard (or front yard for that matter). Whatever is the reason, the results are the same:

All out WARFARE!

Here are some common sayings that could be heard around the house the past 3 days:

"She sat down before I did."

"She got more than I did."

"I wanted to tell you first."

"Mooooooooooooommmmmmmmm! She won't play with me!"

"She ALWAYS gets to help you and I don't." (that's about a poopy diaper...you REALLY want to help?)

"I had that first!"

"That is MINE!"


You get my drift? (I really hope you do since I don't want to torture you with any more! )

I have tried everything I can think of to get them to stop fighting. I have separated them for an extended period of time and not allowed them to play with each other. That helps.

For 15 minutes.

I have taken away toys for days to weeks. That works.

Until Brianna decided to manipulate the situation by asking for  toys to be taken away. The toys that Emma happened to be playing with and she wanted!

I have rearranged sleeping and eating schedules to ensure that neither of the girls are overly tired or hungry which could lead to short tempers and patience (them, not me!) That didn't work. I appealed to their softer side by evoking the disappointment of Jesus and Mary when sister's fight. (Yes, good old Catholic guilt!) That worked with Brianna (who is more empathetic then Emma) but it caused dramatic outburst of "I am such a horrible person" and crying fits!

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUGHHHHH! 

WHAT AM I TO DO?

I AM AT MY WIT'S END!

Bottom line, siblings fight (especially sisters).  I remember fighting with my sisters growing up over clothes, make-up, and boys. I have even fought with my sisters in the past YEAR! However, through it all my sisters are my BEST friends, and that is what I tell my girls. "Don't fight with your sister, SHE is your best friend." Does it work? Sometimes, not always. But I know that just like my sisters and I, in the end, after all the fights we got past them and grew up.

Why? Because, "tomorrow is another day."  Or it better be......

2 comments:

Debi said...

I hear you. That last comment in your post is also my hope....I blame it all on the heat!!!

KY ICU NURSE said...

Awww...I love you sissy!!! And in the end they will be best friends too!!!