Sunday, October 2, 2011

My St. Therese Story


Margaret over at Minnesota Mom asked for our St. Therese stories. Here is mine!

I met my husband, Andrew, on a Catholic singles website. I was a single mom living in Tennessee and he was living in California. We talked via email and then phone for almost a month before talking about meeting. During this time, I was trying to discern if this relationship was going to lead to marriage. I was not going to be the mom who paraded men in and out of her kids lives so anybody that I had a relationship with was going to progress to marriage relatively fast. I decided to pray a novena to St. Therese for her guidance. I got about three days in before I forgot and started back up again to only forget and stop again! During this "almost novena" Andrew sent me pink roses for our 1 month from meeting each other "anniversary.

Well, I wasn't convinced. I was sure that my broken novena couldn't have generated ROSES! I still questioned if Andrew and I were supposed to be together. (Just a side note: I WANTED Andrew and I to get married but after going through a rough divorce I was skeptical of my judgment thus all the questioning.)

Andrew wanted to come and visit me in Michigan, but I was cautious about him meeting my family and I didn't want to introduce him to my girls yet. So I decided to go to visit him in California. I know, I know probably NOT a good idea if his is some psycho-serial killer! Good thing he wasn't ! Besides I had never been to California and this was my chance! Great reasoning huh!

I booked my ticket and started praying ANOTHER novena to St. Therese. This time I was determined to finish! My final day would be the day I landed in LA!

Fast forward to day 9 of the novena. I left Detroit bright and early texting Andrew about my whereabouts along the way. When I landed at LAX Andrew wasn't there! I called and he said he was just pulling into the parking garage and was running a little late. The thought in my mind, "How can you be late on the day that I am coming into town! HUMPH!". I got off the phone and looked out the window of the airport to see him walking across the street with 2 dozen long stem ROSES!

We were married one year to the day later from when he sent me the FIRST set of roses!

Happy Feast Day of St. Therese!

2 comments:

Gardenia said...

a lovely st. Theree story! thanks for sharing.

Debi said...

Aaaaahhhh!!!!! How sweet!
My hubby and I were praying the Novena...I can't remember why, though!! We received an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe wrapped in fabric covered with roses. That was our sign!!