Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Count your blessings!



I think there is a tendency in America today to focus on all the negatives in one's life instead of looking at and appreciating the many blessings that God has graciously given. Well, at least I have a tendency to do that! In order to counteract this tendency, I am going to post about all the many blessings I have in my life. Now I may not post daily or even weekly. However, since my goal is to become consciously aware of God's gifts I do want to post relatively frequently to accomplish this goal. Now these are in no way in order of importance. They will simply be as I think of them.

With that in mind, my first blessing God has given me is an easy one. God has blessed me with 3 beautiful and HEALTHY girls! (He has also blessed me with 2 wonderful sons, but that is for another post.)

It is so easy to take for granted that my girls are healthy. When pregnant there was always the fear that something may be physically wrong with the baby (especially during the 1st trimester),  but I don't think I ever believed the baby would be anything but perfect. However, so many babies are born with health issues that it truly is a blessing from God that my girls are healthy! I thank God everyday for this gift, but I know that at times (especially when they are not in the best of moods) I forget what a gift this really is. I get to watch my daughters grow in knowledge of God and the world around them. I get to watch them learn to walk, talk, pray, read, spell, & (eventually) drive a car. By the grace of God, I get to one day watch them graduate high school and college and hopefully be there when they walk down the aisle to get married! What a wonderful gift God has given me!

Now I understand that many of these gifts are in the future and I have no control over what happens tomorrow or the next day. However, there are many parents who don't even have the blessing of these dreams. I do! That in itself is a gift!

I remember before Brianna was born a friend of mine telling me something her grandmother told her. My friend was lamenting to her grandmother how FAST her son's first year of life had gone by and how she was sad that he was growing up! Her grandmother replied with "Yes, but wouldn't it be sad if he couldn't grow up." All I can say is AMEN!

Father in Heaven, grant me the grace to appreciate the dignity which you have conferred on me. Let me realize that not even the Angels have been blessed with such a privilege –to share in your creative miracle and bring new Saints to heaven.
Make me a good mother to all my children after the example of Mary, the mother of your Son. Through the intercession of Jesus and Mary, I ask your continued blessings on my family. Let us all be dedicated to your Service on earth and attain the eternal happiness of you kingdom in heaven. Amen





No comments: